Executive Director Welcome
Welcome to the Appel Farm website. It is a pleasure to invite you learn about all that Appel Farm has to offer.
After coming to many festivals and being involved in a variety of Appel Farm’s Arts Education programs, I am quite excited to be the Executive Director of Appel Farm. I put two photos in my new office; Mark Packer and Albert Appel. Mark, who served in this role for almost three decades, is one of my close friends and I admire the great things achieved under his leadership. Albert was the original visionary whose love of art and music gave birth to this place and the experience we call Appel Farm. It is my vision to continue the same mission with the same spirit that has guided Appel Farm Arts & Music Center for over 50 years.
Lots of amazing things happen at Appel Farm.
• The Center offers an internationally renowned residential Summer Arts Camp for children ages 9 to 17. This program brings together campers and staff from around the world to study the visual and performing arts. We have an extensive tuition assistance program for economically disadvantaged children, made possible in part by support from numerous businesses, foundations, and individuals.
• Appel Farm provides an extensive Community Arts Outreach Program that brings professional artists and arts educators into schools in Salem, Gloucester and Cumberland counties for performances, residencies and workshops. These programs, which serve over 22,000 children, are underwritten by grants from the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation and many generous businesses, corporations, public agencies and foundations.
• The Center also offers a broad range of exciting arts classes here at our main facility from September through May. These classes, for children, adults and families, are offered for all skill levels and include ceramics, painting, yoga, sculpture, music and theatre under the direction of outstanding teaching artists from throughout the Delaware Valley.
• Appel Farm is proud to coordinate and provide leadership for the Salem County Arts Academy in the visual arts, theatre, and dance. This magnet high school in the arts is the result of a three-way partnership between The Salem County Vocational Technical School, Pittsgrove Township School District and Appel Farm. These programs, hosted at Schalick High School in Pittsgrove Township, provide enriched and intensive study in the arts for regional high school students.
• Finally, the Center makes its facilities available for conferences, retreats, weddings, family reunions and more from late August through May. Appel Farm's peaceful and private country setting provides a unique environment for study, training and relaxation.
Appel Farm is a recipient of major operating support from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State. Funding from the Council enables us to present high quality programming to audiences at affordable prices and also allows us to make our programs accessible to underserved and economically stressed communities throughout the region.
If you'd like more information about any of Appel Farm's programs or would like to volunteer for up-coming events or make a donation to the Center, please contact me and I would be happy to assist you.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, staff, and volunteers of Appel Farm, we hope you'll make this place your home for the arts in southern New Jersey!
Dr. Loren Thomas